Jam-packed full of goodies this one.
A nod must be made to Cin Cin’s sixth release and their split 12” featuring gems from Elliott Lion and New Jackson. London-based Fold finally releases his 3-track EP on Moxie’s On Loop label, Krankbrother recruit Fort Romeau for remix duties and Matthias Reiling, Art Alfie and Coeo bring the funk.
Sweely’s timeless ‘All The Reasons’ finally gets a release on Distant Hawaii and we welcome back Wolf Music with an excellent offering from Hodini. Not to mention the totally exquisite moment from Z-Lovecraft on South London label No Bad Days.
There’s a lot to digest. The pensive ‘Songs For Knotty’ from Ishmael Ensemble should ease you in nicely…
1. Ishmael Ensemble – Songs For Knotty: South Londoner Ishmael returns to Banoffee Pies with a six piece ensemble and a full length LP to boot (out today). The record was made in loving memory of an old friend and ‘Songs For Knotty’ is the highly poignant title track.
For the Londoners amongst you, Friday 10th February is the day to bookmark with not one but two appearances from all involved. There’ll be a live showcase from Ishmael at Sounds Of The Universe with DJ support from the Banoffee Pies gang, then they’ll both be digging deep into their record collections at Brilliant Corners later on in the evening. Both events are free and sound top-notch.
2. Cin Cin 006 – New Jackson/Elliott Lion Double whammy here. The sixth release on Cin Cin is a split 12” between Dubliner New Jackson and Manchester-based Elliott Lion, he of Editors fame don’t you know? We were treated to the first two tracks this week and they’re both ace, the deep and dreamy, David Bowie-sampling ‘Electric Blue’ complimenting the driving ‘Athens’ nicely.
3. COEO – Mydonna: Munich-based duo COEO bring the disco flavours in the fun-filled ‘Mydonna’, due for release on 17th February via Berlin’s Toy Tonics.
4. Sampha – (No One Knows Me) Like The Piano: Sampha dropped the vid for the achingly beautiful ‘(No One Knows Me) Like The Piano’ a few days back to coincide nicely with the relase of his debut album, ‘Process’. It’s out today on Young Turks, go find it.
5. Jesper Ryom – Pacer: French record label Delicieuse Records have been unearthing an eclectic blend of new music since 2012 and this March they’re dropping their first VA compilation to celebrate the wealth of musical discoveries they’ve made. The album’s called ‘Liquors #1’ and Jesper Ryom’s ‘Pacer’ is the first taster.
The mix that pricked our ears this week is by Seb Wildblood, over an hour of 100% forthcoming material on Church, Coastal Haze and All My Thoughts:
Or for any Spotify users out there, we’ve got you covered too.