Pional’s Soundcloud sprang to life yesterday with this little gem:
The Catalan wizard (first time someone who isn’t a Barcelona player’s been called that?)’s chosen name hits the nail on the head. It’s the type of tune that makes you want to shut your eyes and sway purposefully in a dimly lit room. Immersive.
Anyone partial to a bit of long distance running? This one may be for you.
Spanish top dog of twenty twelve John Talabot has teamed up once again with Pional to produce a piece of music written specifically as the theme tune for the ‘Maraton Divina Pastora De Valencia’, the annual marathon in Valencia. Talabot claims it was written in a similar vein to “something epic like Eye Of The Tiger” – within seconds of listening you can see why.
Born out of a pulsating heartbeat, there’s a driving force behind this tune that should be perfect to inspire those both in their training up to the event and to those who are on their last legs during race time. We hear the song is going to be played during the painful stretch of the course that’s known as ‘The Wall’, where competitors’ loved ones can show their support. And even if you prefer the comfort of your armchair to your lycra, it’s definitely worth checking out, this tune’s got a great beat.
Why not make your first steps, stretch off those fingers of yours and click the free download here. It might make the pain all the more bearable…
1. John Talabot – The Strange Silence: Talabot’s back producing the goods in a big way. This one’s the opening track on Permanent Vacation’s 10th Anniversary compilation, with the Spanish maestro being accompanied by the likes of Lauer, Pional and Mano Le Tough. Go get it.
2. Lindstrøm – Tensions: More cosmic goodness from Norway. This is the second track to be released from Lindstrøm’s forthcoming fifth album ‘It’s Alright Between Us As It Is’, released on Smalltown Supersound on October 20th.
3. Junktion – Friends & Strangers: Laid-back disco roller from Dutch producer Junktion, ‘Friends & Strangers’ is part of a three-track EP originally-titled ‘EP’. Make Believe Disco doing this business.
Check out his recent mix for Pulse Msc while you’re on it:
4. Doc Daneeka – Better Dayz: Third instalment of the Welsh producer’s WALK.MAN series and it’s a piano-based party-starter. Get this and ‘Stay Away From Music’ on the flip here, and stay tuned for the release of the WALK.MAN mixtape out digitally and on cassette soon.
5. Cleveland – Pay Back: We’ve been waiting patiently for the release of this one since we heard it back in on the Belgian producer’s excellent Data Transmission mix at the beginning of 2016! It’s finally being released on Talabot’s Hivern Discs on 6th October. Hard work’s always gon’ pay back, it’s a gem.
And for the longer listen, selections from Nicholas for Coastal Haze.
For more from the Italian producer, check out two tracks from his mini-LP ‘Lonnie’s Reprise‘ forthcoming on Church:
1. Pale Blue – Comes Home (Pional Remix) / Have You Passed Through This Night: Mike Simonetti and Elizabeth Wight’s new side project Pale Blue have just released a three-track EP. Graced with two originals and an excellent remix from Spanish producer Pional, get your mits on the release here courtesy of Man Power’s Me Me Me* label.
*This Axel Boman Dubb of James Hadfield’s ‘Soak’ is another Me Me Me release that’s been doing the rounds (and bringing the atmos) recently, it’s ace:
2. The XX – A Violent Noise (Four Tet Remix): A staple-sounding Four Tet remix involving big-room synths and shuffling percussion was dropped earlier this week, festival circuit fodder:
3. Jon Sable – Gray Paper Moon (Chaos In The CBD Mix): An all-out New Zealand affair on Tief’s next release, CITCBD step Jon Sable’s jazz-infused, laid-back house number up a gear.
4. Ed Woods – Last Call: Delivered through Beats of No Nation’s excellent free download service, London-via-the Gold Coast producer Ed Woods has dropped this hazy, toe-tapping number just in time for sunnier climes ahead – bonus points for an ID on the vocal sample… Head over here to add it to your collection.
5. Octo Octa – New Paths: Emotive and atmospheric title track from OO’s forthcoming 12″ on Argot, stay tuned for ‘Hidden Truth’ on the flipside.
And for the longer listen, Laurence Guy’s newly-created ‘Litte While’ mix series kicks off with an hour of selections from the man himself, dive in:
Talabot’s on form.
He’s teamed up again with Pional under their Lost Scripts moniker and released a two track EP on his very own Hivern Discs. We spoke about the Afro house-inspired ‘A.F.K.’ t’other day, and now we’re treated to the A-side ‘S.O.P.’. It’s a re-work of the Clive Owen-starring TV show ‘The Knick’ and it sounds menacing. In a good way.
On the remix front he’s the man behind both remixes for Berlin based duo Sfire’s ‘Sfire3’. You can listen to the ‘Warehouse Dub’ version here, or the ‘Tribalist Rework’ below. It’s a mesmerising number:
And if that wasn’t enough, he’s been commandeered by Phonica to provide the latest instalment in their mix series. Over an hour and a half’s worth of music what makes JT tick…
John Talabot and Pional have teamed up once again as Lost Scripts to release a vinyl-only two track EP out soon on Talabot’s Hivern Discs. ‘A.F.K’ is the B-side and it’s a wonderful slice of Afro-inspired house soaked in flitting synth and percussive patterns.
Stay tuned for the A-side, S.O.P.